18 August 2008

Oh kindred spirit!

I saw Ann yesterday in Toronto. We cooked some rice and stirfry for supper and Ann was extremely proud of the fact that most of the stirfry consisted of veggies from her very own garden! It was delicious. We had her homemade wine as well, which was the best I've ever tasted, and she let me try some of her local Toronto beer. What a great day! I took the bus home. There's something about bus, train, and subway rides that I love. On one hand it makes me feel independant and like I can do anything. On the other hand, I like how it makes me feel very small in a huge world. So many people on them that I don't know. Everyone going to their own little place... But mostly I like the solitude. I find these rides, though someone noisy in a way, to be very peaceful and they quiet my spirits. For that hour or hour and a half, all I can do is sit and let the bus take me where it's going. I don't have to concentrate on driving, or what someone is saying, or what I am doing. Just sit. And read Emma and listen to Modest Mouse, Radiohead, or the Flaming Lips.

I helped with VBS today. Kids can be so exhausting! My aunt broke her ankle so today I had to be her feet, as she put it. I also got a rug burn on my ankle from getting thrown out of the synagogue in one of the skits. But at the end of the day at least the kids had fun. Two more market days and then I'm done. :) I leave Saturday for GR and then Monday for Dordt. It just can't come soon enough!

3 comments:

SaraMonet' said...

so i was wondering what day exactly you were thinking you would be back in sioux center? i know you wanted to hang out so i was wondering... miss you! safe traveling!

Alvin said...

The bus IS fun to ride - it's really cool when you end up sitting with a guy who's going to Fargo and you're all, "No way, dude! NO WAY! Have you seen the film? HAahhaa!" And then Piper calls and you tell her that the guy next to you is going to Fargo! Awesome! Right?

His name was Ken and he thought I was amusing.

See you soon, pal!

Amanda said...

she broke her ankle? howd she do that?

back at dordt yet?
check up on mirjam sometime. say hello. she would like that.

hows the car running?