Adventure #1.
Lisa and I packed up my bike baskets and strapped her into a backpack and cycled all the way to Oak Grove. 15 miles. Two and a half hours of strenuous work up hills, in the sun, and against east bound wind. Totally worth it.
Adventure #2.
Upon arriving we saw there was a boy scout day camp. We asked a woman what time they would all be leaving and she said 4pm. She asked where we came from. We said Sioux Center. She looked a bit bewildered. "You biked?"
"Yes."
"And you're camping here tonight?"
"Yes."
"Do your mom's know you're here?"
Now it was Lisa's and my turn to look bewildered. Apparently this woman thought we were 16. In our surprised amusement, we acted quite awkwardly, probably just confirming her suspicions about our age, no matter what age we claimed to be.
Adventure #3.
Lisa and I had a goal of getting out of state, which required us to cross the river. We were a bit concerned about the water being safe to swim across, but swim we must for we needed to reach South Dakota and did not want to bike another 10 miles to do so. Determined to meet our goal, we cautiously maneuvered our way across the rocks by the shore and then plopped off and began swimming like crazy to get across without getting carried too far down the bank. Just when I was getting quite tired, I looked over at Lisa who suddenly popped up a bit and said, "Hey, I can touch." As it turns out, you can pretty much walk straight across the whole river. A sheepish smile, a slight blush, and then some roaring laughter to regain our self confidence.
Adventure #4.
Begging for bug spray from other campers.
Adventure #5.
After a very rigid search, Lisa and I finally came upon the perfect camping site. Two trees secluded enough to not be found by the park ranger, and close enough together with branches sturdy enough and low enough to hang a hammock from. That's right. We shared one hammock and one blanket. Slightly difficult, slightly uncomfortable, really cold. And we got bug bit.
Adventure #6.
Watching the sunset, then skinny dipping, then almost getting caught...
Adventure #7.
Getting up with the sun, hearing birds all around, and seeing deer calmly grazing nearby. Packing up and heading home with no wind, cool morning air, and just a few stops for breakfast and to strip down as we warmed up from exertion. Thinking I might not make it, but I had to, so I would. Almost bagels. And finally making it back in time for church.
Seven is a good number, so we end there.
6 comments:
Wow, fun!
I wish to be a part of your adventures, too.
I miss you guys!! Those are some fun adventures. I can't wait to get back to Sioux Center (who ever thought I'd be saying that?)
haha, you would!
What does almost bagels mean? Come on, there's got to be more to that story...
We were craving bagels for breakfast so we stopped at Butlers and were extremely disappointed to find them not open...
that sounds just swell
Post a Comment