What do you get when you cross a blanket of snow on the fields and a thick fog in the air? No horizon. This was my experience on the way to and from Granville last Friday. When there were no cars in front of me and none behind and all I could see anywhere around me was a small stretch of road that disappeared into a white haze, it felt like I was the only being on the planet. But even the planet did not feel like a planet at all. Rather than being a speck on the surface of a giant sphere, it felt more like I was a speck in the very center of a vast expanse of pure whiteness that could have gone on forever and ever.
Ever have that?
2 comments:
never in the netherlands anyway... hard to find a patch of land with no building, animal, person, car, or train in sight. sounds nice.
carmela, what you descibed in this post is one of my most favorite things about iowa. upon returning from LA, I really didn't want to be here, nw iowa, but the drive from Sioux Falls, to Dordtville changed all that as I took in the endless white expanse. it will be one of things i miss.
Post a Comment