31 October 2006

na na na na. na na na na.

I was talking to my roommate today in the TV room and this commercial came on. The commercial goes something like this - there's a guy who sees a spider and gets it to crawl onto a paper or something and he releases it outside. There is another bug that he also lets go free or something. Then he grabs a kleenex and blows his nose as the narrator says something about the kleenex killing up to 90-some% of germs and the guy kinda stops what he's doing for a sec, then sorta shrugs it off as narrator says thank heavens for forgiveness, thank heavens there's this brand of kleenex... (I forget the brand and the exact words, but you get the picture..) Anyway, so I see this and say to Rachel "Thank heavens for forgiveness? what does that have to do with anything?" I was thinking this commercial is stupid and doesn't make sense. Then Rachel (who's a major is ag-missions) explains to me about some religion that believes killing anything is wrong and will even filter water so as not to drink anything living, etc... And still I'm thinking, so what's the connection? And then "click" - I get it. The germs. Kleenex KILLS the germs. Need forgiveness! and all of a sudden this "stupid" add becomes genius.
So now that I feel like an idiot, I shall do some boasting to gratify my ego. I have a theology test tomorrow so I went to my prof today to ask a few questions and organize some thoughts. One of the first things my prof said to me when I walked in was that he liked my reading-responses. Then he asked what my major was, and then he tried to convince me to be a theology major, or at least a minor, but finally settled on "at least take some more theology classes" and he hauled out his catalog and looked through to find some missions related courses (since I'd expressed interest in missions). Though I have no intention of being a theology major/minor, I must say I am extremely flattered that this particular prof was trying to persuade me to do so.

Okay, so really perhaps writing this is an arrogant thing to do, but I was just really excited to hear this because I do sort of struggle with self-confidence a bit - as in not always having enough. So I need to be reassured at times that in some way or other I am special or smart or have done something worth doing or thought something worth thinking - not just from biased people like family or even friends, but from someone who has a not-so-personal relationship with me and speaks just from "evidence" or concrete things... you know?
I'm out.

Peace.

3 comments:

Justine Ann said...

sounds like you're doing awesome. It's so great to be affirmed by professors of your intelligence.

I wish i was able to be a diciplined student like you. keep enjoying it!

hope to see you again.

Amanda said...

i think you're smart. you must be, cause you always got better grades than i did... and mom told me i'm smart. so here you go. what more do you need? :p

SaraMonet' said...

this has nothing to do with your post but. anyway, i would love either actually. i do have a few scarves though. anywho. check out the link to my other "new" BLOG. it's much better. ciao chic. p.s. my um yeah, boob is still burnt. ouch.