21 December 2008

enjoy the snow, suckuhs!

El Paso has had a warmer than average week for this time of year. 60 degrees all week almost. It's wonderful. I've been wearing sleeveless shirts and skirts while locals are wearing sweaters and jackets.

Yesterday we went hiking in an area not particularly meant for such activities. We climbed for over an hour, dodging thorn bushes, scaling rocks, catching ourselves after slipping on loose ground, and stopping occasionally to pick out a cactus needle or two. Yolanda fell off a cliff, scaring me half to death. Fortunately she fell onto a flat surface, but unfortunately also onto a cactus on that flat surface. Today her hands were so swollen and sore I had to help her dress.

After church today we went to Mesillas, NM. Most of it was unimpressive, but there was a sweet little winery. Amanda, Luuk, Mom, and I did a little 4-dollar/4-wine tasting. The wine was good, the atmosphere was Bean-like. But best of all were the owners - a newly wedded couple in their late 40's or so. The man looked just like the Big Lebowski narrator - cowboy hat, big grey mustache, friendly, laid back, but masculine. :) His wife was also laid back, friendly, and hospitable. Together they were one of those couples you know were made for each other!

It's good to be here.

2 comments:

Alvin said...

We ARE enjoying the snow here, you big jerk. But I miss wearing sleeveless shirts too. Hope your sister is feeling better. Keep having the best times ever and yes, I am really mad at you for taking a solo road trip with Modest Mouse and Mr. Dylan. That's too much bragging.

r.c.f. said...

staying here probably would have stranded you even longer, as the weather hasn't really improved since you left. it's snowing again right now.