12 April 2011

I need to laugh and when the sun is out, I've got something I can laugh about

Reginald. That's my moped's name, thanks to Jeff. I rode him all of two weeks, if that even, before my lack of plates got me pulled over. "This is going to be an expensive day for you," was what I was told by the cop after he found out I also was without insurance and a moped license. Surprisingly enough I managed to just sit on the curb and enjoy the sunshine without shedding any tears. Equally surprising to me was that the day turned out not to be so expensive at all, for instead of a fine, the policeman just gave me a severe warning. He made certain I knew the warning was in the computer and if I got pulled over again, there would be no mercy. I walked my moped nearly 3km home that day, and thus began of my intense daily exercise of biking to and from work every day. Most of the time I don't mind it too much, but on days like today when the 30 km/h wind is against me both ways, my optimism gives way to weariness.
Yet even on this windy day, God sent a little ray of sunshine in the form of a little old man with an electric scooter. Quietly and ever so slowly, the old man overcame me on the sharpest incline of the way home, and as he approached, he looked over, smiled and then raced me up the rest of the way. My weary legs were no match for his 250W or so, but my weary soul, which wanted to indulge in self-pity, was no match for his brilliant smile and playful spirit. I hope to see him again.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

fantastic. :)